In 2009 Algoma Orchards constructed a state-of-the-art 100,000 sq. foot apple packing facility in Newcastle Ontario.
Some of the highlights are as follow:
- 8 control atmosphere rooms – CA storage – store 1000 bins/room
- 5 cold rooms – store 1,200 bins/room
- Packed goods room – store 40,000 boxes
- Pack 800 boxes/hour
The investment in the plant also led to the investment in a defect sorting system. After many trips Algoma Orchards purchased the MAF GlobalScan V.
Some of the highlights are:
- Non-invasive process – traditionally apples packed by hand
- Apples can be sorted by colour and its various shades
- Apples can be presorted according to quality grade and can also be graded by diameter, length, surface area or volume
- Can detect defects on the apple surface such as: russet, hail damage, bruising, rot, sunburn, and scald